To say that I
was tense on our way upriver for the umpteenth time would be an
understatement. After wobbly boats,
boats splitting in half, Sam falling in the water without a life jacket, almost
flipping our boat (and the list goes on) my nerves were on edge. Which is
saying a lot considering the fact that I used to love riding in boats AND I had
just had an amazingly relaxing vacation in Panama with our friends the
Louderback’s but nevertheless I was. Tense that is.
Astonishingly
enough we had a very uneventful trip up with amazing weather and only having to
push once J Thank goodness!! The pleasant weather
continued for the rest of the day and we were able to visit, unpack, swim/bathe
and have a pretty good dinner. My muscles were really sore though when I woke
up the next morning – all that stress really got to me.
On Wednesday the kids and I helped Adam clear off some brush and Estevan came to visit. He and Adam decided to have church on Wednesday (so of course they all showed up on Thursday). Which turned out to be a big day for us.
Adam wanted to
take the boat to the other side of the river to collect bags of sand and
pebbles to help keep our path from being so muddy and slick. But because of all of our recent troubles
Adam wanted to test the boat out first before we put the whole family in it.
However, Sophia really wanted to go (Isabell Kate and Samuel were sleeping) so she
went with him. As per usual the boat died halfway across – Adam had to jump out
and pull it to shore. He couldn’t fix it without tools so him and Sophia were
stuck on the other side of the river. I was watching all of this from the house
but I was unable to help do anything. Adam realized that the only way to get
back across was for them to swim.
So I watched helplessly as Adam walked to the farthest point upriver – he then took off
their boots and his shirt (apparently the long sleeves prevent him from
swimming well) and he put Sophia on his back.
They start the swim over to my side of the river, and can I just tell you that I almost vomited as I watched that current take them. Good grief - the water was moving. I honestly wasn’t too terribly worried because Sophia had her life jacket on and Adam is a very good swimmer, however I kept expecting them to walk up the hill and they never did.
By this time about 15 kids had gathered
in front of the house and they were all looking down the hill (my view was
obstructed) so I finally called down and asked if they saw Adam and Sophia.
They yelled back, ‘NO!’ .... WHAT!? I said, "seriously!??" And then another girl said, "Yes, we can see them"….whatever.
So I am starting to panic at this point and I am pulling on my boots while deciding to just leave the kids sleeping in the house and I run out to look and see if I can find them. I hear my name being called out and I turn around and there are Adam and Sophia coming down the trail that leads to town. Whew.
Apparently while fighting the current Sophia freaked out
and almost strangled/drowned Adam because she was squeezing his neck so tight
and so they had to float around the bend in the river and to the first bank you get to
for Shakay.
Adam had to then carry Sophia through town barefoot and shirtless (I wish I had pictures of that but you will just have to imagine it – in my panic who knows where the camera was).
Of course, poor Adam had to get his
tools and then swim back across the river to fix the boat. Fortunately he was
able to fix it and drive it back over so he didn’t have to swim again. He
definitely slept well that night J
On Friday the
sky cleared up and the sun came out for the first time since we had arrived. We
were so excited we all went down to the river and watched Adam make a ladder
(our first one had already rotted and ruined). The kids and I were picking up
sticks that had washed down stream into our bathing area when I looked down and
saw a snake swimming across the river.
I don’t know if you have ever seen a snake swim but it is super creepy. All I could tell was that it was big, black and had a white belly. I also knew that I didn’t have a machete and that Adam needed to come kill it.
I yelled for him
and he came running but amazingly enough he didn’t have a machete either and it
was a fast snake. It slithered up the bank and into the brush (at least it was
the brush opposite from us). I asked Adam if it was poisonous and if he had
seen that particular snake before (he has seen two and it was actually the
first one I had ever seen). He said no, that one was about 3 times the size of
the ones he had killed. Oh great. I said, “so was it poisonous?” He said, “Well
its head was the size of a boulder and it had a blunt tail so yeah.” Oh ok.
Well to me it just looked black….so good to know…also good to know that it is still out there alive somewhere.
Saturday morning
promised to be sunny and hot so we weren’t too surprised when we received
visitors at 6:30am. I was still upstairs feeding Isabell Kate but I heard Adam
talking to some women. When I came down he said, “Guess who came by to say
hi??” Ummm, I have no idea – who? Delia, the lady who thought we had demon children;
apparently she was going across the river to hunt. He said, “I think she wanted
you to go with her?!”
Sadly (and I truly was sad – I really wanted to be friends with her, even if that meant I had to hunt) she had already crossed the river so I couldn’t go.
I didn’t even
know that the women hunted, but evidently Saturday was ‘women’s hunting day’
because everyone we knew went hunting. And what were they hunting for, you
might ask. Well folks, they were hunting for armadillos. Yup, that’s right,
armadillos (which I have recently learned can carry leprosy.... nice little fun fact).
Apparently they let their dogs lose and then the women chase them (in rubber boots) through the jungle until they find an armadillo hole – then they dig it out with their machetes and kill the poor sucker. True story. (So in hindsight – a little glad I missed that) I am gonna have to get in better shape in order to survive Shuar hunting trips J
Other Random
Facts Before I Go: 1. Isabell Kate got her first bath in a sink (no pictures of that
either because slippery wet baby and small metal sink means that you need at
least 4 hands) 2. Adam had the pleasure of eating cold, day old armadillo
soup…. Which was mostly skin and scales 3. Our friend Lucho lost 40 planks of
wood because the water rose so high in the night and our boat sank (Adam was
able to use the wench and get it out, but Lucho never found his wood) 4. A thirteen-year-old
girl drank poison and died in Mariposa (a Shuar community a little farther up
river) we saw the coffin go by in a peek boat - super sad 5. Delia came by before we left
and chatted with me for over an hour so I think we might still have a chance at
being friends 6. And last but not least – church went well and we had a new
family join us – Guillermo and his wife (who is Hermocina’s sister) and their 4
children. Guillermo has tons of questions and seems eager to learn, so that is
exciting!
All in all it was a great trip – full of excitement, terror and jaw dropping amazement – just another normal day for us J Thanks so much for your continued prayers, comments and encouragement!
Here is a video of the kids playing and then some pictures that we did manage to take (wink, wink). Enjoy.
I think at one point we had every Shuar child in Shakay in our house :) ahhh, the memories.
Isabell Kate was quite the star
coloring and sharing cookies
These are two of Delia's children
Guillermo and Adam
Lucho and Betty (the girl on the left I had never seen before) the woman with her back to the camera is Guillermo's wife.
jungle sunset
Isabell Kate loved the hammock & we loved that she loved it :)
I learned how to use a pressure cooker :)
This is some scary jungle caterpillar thingy....
the new ladder and the rising water
this would be the current and water level that Adam and Sophia swam
burning trash
watching me cut vegetables was almost as fun to them as blowing bubbles....crazy.
ahh yes, the sunken boat
our little cutie - she is 5 months now!!
Flat pancakes for dinner - makes everyone smile :)



2 comments:
Thanks for writing! Very good! And i was waiting the whole time to tell you it was wrench instead of Wench, but i guess it really is wench...
Thankful for the answered prayers, once again! Love ya!
Sar Bear
Thanks for the update, guys ... and PLEASE be safe!
Post a Comment