Expect the unexpected. That is what we say. It’s
what we tell ourselves on a daily basis, In fact, it is said so much that it
isn’t really a saying so much anymore, but a mindset. Ironically, even with all
of this mental preparation, we are still caught off guard and surprised by the
unexpected.
For example, we were taking a friend back to Loja a couple of weeks ago and boom. A landslide happened right before our eyes. We were shocked. Adam jumped out of the car just as the police arrived to block off the road. He started talking to them, explaining how he was pretty sure our car could get around the debris without a problem, but they were not convinced. Finally, they agreed that if he walked up and around the corner and still thought it was safe to drive through, then he could.
For example, we were taking a friend back to Loja a couple of weeks ago and boom. A landslide happened right before our eyes. We were shocked. Adam jumped out of the car just as the police arrived to block off the road. He started talking to them, explaining how he was pretty sure our car could get around the debris without a problem, but they were not convinced. Finally, they agreed that if he walked up and around the corner and still thought it was safe to drive through, then he could.
So he ran up the hill and disappeared from view. Minutes went by and he never came back. I was starting to worry a little that he had been washed over the side of the mountain when he came running around the bend.He shouted something at the police – jumped in the car – and said we have got to get out of here! The mountain is coming down. At that moment water just started pouring down the road (and since we were on a bridge over a very swollen waterfall – I decided now was a good time to panic). Adam backed the car up and got us out of there.
Sadly, as we returned home the road was closed. Both roads in the time it had taken us to drop off our friend had become impassable. We would have to stay the night in Loja.
After the evening we had just had, and with the knowledge that we are always ready to expect the unexpected, it is quite remarkable that yet again we were caught off guard.
Of
course, we were unprepared for an overnight stay and had nothing with us except
diapers and some formula for Isabell Kate. I gritted my teeth as I washed my
face with hotel shampoo and again as I put on yesterday’s clothes the next
morning (without deodorant of course). The smell was fantastic.
It is at these times when you wish there was a 24 hour Walmart. Or a 24 hour anything for that matter. But we pushed through & put smiles on our faces hoping people didn’t notice our dirty teeth.We did make it home that afternoon and only had to wait in line for 2 hours. After we recuperated from that unexpected adventure we began to prepare to head up to Shakay for a short trip. Preparing went surprisingly well and the drive out to the river was smooth and quick. What a relief.
Haciento was waiting for us when we arrived and
we were packed up and in the boat in record time. Adam only had to get out and push twice which
was impressive considering how low the river was.
It just so happened that we got to Shakay right
when school was letting out so all the kids were waiting for us as we walked up
to the house. Now, after having made several trips up to Shakay and since we
have 2 toddlers and a baby I have a system.
I have perfected, so to speak, the way in which it is easiest to unpack – organize and settle in for our stay. Having a house full of children is not part of that system. Neither is finding our air mattress eaten by rats. Caught off guard again. Bummer.Somehow I managed to get everything ‘half’ done – at least enough where we could make it comfortably through the night and I called it good. It was very sunny and nice out so we went swimming and tried to relax and enjoy the evening. It was at this moment when Adam said,
“Well, Haciento said that if the water gets any lower than it is now, we are going to have to hike out of here.” Wait, what?!? I know, I know expect the unexpected. I am like 0 for 5 now I think….not doing so good.
But I am just having a hard
time imagining us trekking through the mud while carrying and dragging our
children and belongings through the jungle. Hike out of here? Not cool. But I
smiled, said ‘ok’ & tried to think about the amazing pictures we could get
from that….while silently praying and pleading for rain.
The next morning Adam put us all to work. We
have a team coming at the end of the week so we needed to finish up the last of
the preparations for their visit. I got to bail water out of the ‘emergency
boat’ and spray all the jungle back with weed killer. Two things that I have watched Adam do for…. well, for years and I have never given it a second though, but man it is hard
work!
I think my shoulders are bruised from carrying that sprayer thing and my back definitely hurt from scooping out all of that water. Good grief. I am definitely more appreciative of the work he does now J
But it was a good sunny
day and we were able to swim/bathe without it being to painfully cold.
We had a good time of fellowship on Saturday and
since there had still been no rain Adam and I were trying to prepare ourselves
for the expected hike we were most likely taking in the morning.
We went through all of our stuff - only planning on bringing the stuff we absolutely needed (like the children).
That night as we tried to
sleep through Isabell Kate’s fussing it began to pour down rain. Whew, what a
relief!!
Not that I wasn’t super excited about hiking or anything… The only thing was that it never quit raining. By morning the river had risen 9 feet.
Now our concern – unexpectedly – was that we wouldn’t be able to go home
because the river was to high for the boat to make it up!! WHAT?! Craziness.
But Haciento is an amazing boat driver and not
only did he make it up but he was on time!
The house was full of people again, who had come to tell us bye, so we are running around packing and locking things up because we never thought Haciento would make it up, much less be on time, and we were so not ready (I think I am 0 for 7 or 8 by now).
He wasn’t
able to bring the boat all the way to us though so we had to hike through
town (but it was a short hike in
comparison to what it could have been!).
The ride back down was definitely crazy. There were some serious rapids,
tons of trees and debris in the water (which sadly included a dead horse).
You know, when you become a mom no one ever tells you that you can’t be scared in front of your children, because if you show fear then everyone freaks out. You have to stay calm for the sake of the family. So as we flew past uprooted trees and while the boat is bouncing and banging down the river I am saying, “Oh look at that beautiful waterfall! Oh this is so fun!! This is bumpy.” And everyone is laughing and happy - when inside I am actually thinking. Holy Crap. We are going to die.
But we safely made it back in record time. Never a dull moment J So all that to say,
expect the unexpected. Get good at rollin’ with it….and even if you are caught
off guard – smile with that set of dirty teeth and hope you don’t look
surprised.
faces of the Shuar children.
food for the team. yum.
Being monkeys.
The river before it rose.
sink bath!
and then it rained.
we picked up a soccer team on the way down.
video's of the river and boat ride!!



















No comments:
Post a Comment